Celebrating Texas Independence Day



Delegates from the 17 Mexican municipalities of Texas and the settlement of Pecan Point had met on March 1, 1836, at Washington-on-the-Brazos to consider their future. In the early morning hours of the next day, they unanimously voted to declare independence from Mexico.

But, notes the Texas State Historical Association's Handbook of Texas, the move toward self government "remained to be demonstrated to Mexico."

Fours days later, newly minted Texans made a stand at the Alamo. None survived.

The result was just as dismal on March 27, with the massacre of more than 350 Republic of Texas soldiers who had surrendered at Goliad.

My Texas compatriots of yore decided they'd had enough. It would take 150 more years for the phrase to be coined, but folks were about to learn why you don't mess with Texas.

On April 21, 1836, Texas Republic soldiers attacked Santa Anna's troops and the Battle of San Jacinto was underway. It took 18 minutes for Texas to secure its independence from Mexico.

I know many of my non-Texas readers don't care about today. And I know a lot of current Texans, especially those in the legislature, too often don't represent my home state the way I'd like.

But I am still proud of my West Texas heritage and thrilled to be back home.

And every chance I get, I tell everyone I'm a native Texan, although those who actually hear me proclaim my love for the Lone Star State know where I'm from by my drawl long before I can finish the sentence!

So forgive this brief blog detour today, the 175th anniversary of Texas' Declaration of Independence. I promise I'll be back later to focus on taxes instead of Texas!
Source : http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/dont_mess_with_taxes/2011/03/celebrating-texas-independence-day.html